Let’s begin this conversation by asking viewers to take a few moments to peek at the two videos below. They “set the stage” for what I call the underpinnings for what I call The War on Ignorance.
Here are the videos.
THE FUTURE OF WORK
SIR KEN ROBINSON ON EDUCATION
Now, within that context, as above, let us ask these questions:
1. THE CORE ISSUE: If the perils of the ocean are an existential threat to the planet – as they are; and if Dr. Sylvia Earle’s “gravest fear is ignorance” — as is well articulated in her book SEA CHANGE; and if “the antidote to ignorance is “education“– Shouldn’t all advocates for protection of the Ocean resource their entities accordingly? Isn’t everything else either a side-show? Or support elements to be subordinated to what I call the War on Ignorance?
2. Queen Noor, Richard Branson, Ted Turner, Oprah, etc. etc. etc. bring powerful spot lights to the problem. But where are “equal” spotlights to those likely to bring the EDUCATIONAL solutions? Where is Sir Ken Robinson? Sir John Daniel? And those of sterling mettle?
3. The revolution in e-learning, e-education, e-conferences, has been well underway for twenty years. There is an abundance of talent we should tap. Which leads me to these questions:(a) Who, exactly, is “in charge” of the “education component”; where can we read more about him or her? (b) How do we DEEPLY incorporate 21st Century tools into both education and advocacy? (c) How do we bring all of this together?
4. In 2003, Dr. James Moore wrote a brilliant piece called “The Second Superpower“. What he portended then has now become “The Arab Spring”. Education delivery is now undergoing the same level of impact – most especially for those now 12 years old and under. If we don’t inculcate into those 12 and under the need to conserve and protect, aren’t we kidding ourselves that REAL change can actually take place?
5. What are SEA, OWOO, The Ocean Project, World Ocean Day doing to be at the forefront of this wave? What are the plans to change both optics and follow-through? What are the metrics?
P.S. More pointedly: Where is Mark Zuckerman in the photo?